Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Anything worth doing is worth doing half-way." Linda Dollar


Like I've stated before, I am an all or nothing person. Half-hearted is just not how I want to be described. But really, if I had to have a bachelors degree in every activity I tried, I wouldn't do much.

Here enters the quote at the top of this entry. For context: Linda Dollar was a role model in my community when I was in high school. Her simple statement meant a lot to me then and still does now. It motivates me to give something a shot and not fear failure. If it's worth my time, then even doing some of it will have merit.

Personal application #1: recycling. I used to think that recycling was for the truly dedicated. If I couldn't do it like the real green people, then I shouldn't try. But then one day I realized that even doing it a little was better than nothing.

Personal application #2: sewing. My mom is a professional seamstress. She can whip up a wedding dress faster than I can cook dinner. And believe me, it's art. My version is not so much. This used to be where I stopped. My sewing machine would gather dust and rust in my closet. But, I have decided that a sundress here or there for my little girl is better than nothing. (And I can call Mom for advice when the thread bunches up on the back of my project!)

Personal application #3: you're reading it.

2 comments:

CheechaB said...

If it makes you feel better, I haven't seen my sewing machine since we moved. I don't know where it is.

Unknown said...

That is so true. I have these long lists of things to do. If I can just do a few, it's better than doing nothing.