Friday, November 7, 2008

Red beans hot, red beans cold, red beans in the pot 2 days old!

My little family lives on a budget. We live within our means. But, with that in mind, we also are foodies. My hubby and I LOVE a great steak. We munch seasonal fresh fruit and veggies. Trying new recipes is a joy! But we all need those staple meals that keep our funds in check. Our recipe repertoire needs to contain as Dave Ramsey says, "beans and rice, rice and beans."

I can eat plain rice and beans, but it that would not satisfy my crew. This take on red beans and rice is a flavorful, slightly meatier version. We make this at least twice a month.

Darlene's Red Beans and Rice
Slice and saute in 3 T olive oil:
1 medium white or yellow onion
1 polish sausage (Hillshire Farms is GF)

Blend or food process 2 cans red beans (Usually, I use dark red kidney beans or occasionally black beans.)

Add beans and 1 can of water to onions and sausage. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Season with garlic powder, red pepper, chili powder, salt, pepper, and basil to taste.

Prepare rice according to package directions. Pour beans over rice.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Thank you Julia for this recipe!! I will try to make it this week! I always look forward to reading your posts! Thanks so much for chatting with me last Sunday! It is always great to hear some great tips!!! Hope to see you again soon!
Beth

Unknown said...

hey julia! love your blog. saw you at pville last week but, it was during communion and i didn't think it'd be appropriate to shout your name and wave to you.
i will definitely be trying this recipe soon!

kelley smith

Amy Dalon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.